Wildwood Theatre Contract of Service
I understand that as a member of the Board of Directors of The Wildwood Theatre, I have a legal and ethical responsibility to ensure that the organization does the best work possible in pursuit of its goals. I believe in the purpose and the mission of the Wildwood, and I will act responsibly and prudently as its steward. As part of my responsibilities as a board member:
1. I will interpret the organization's work and values to the community, represent the organization, and act as an ambassador for The Wildwood Theatre;
2. In turn, I will interpret our constituencies' needs and values to the organization, speak out for their interests, and on their behalf, and hold the organization accountable.
3. I will attend at least 75 percent of board meetings, committee meetings, and special events.
4. Each year, but no later than October 1st of each year, I will make a personal financial contribution at a level that is meaningful to me.
5. I will actively participate in one or more fundraising activities. 6. I will excuse myself from discussions and votes where I have a conflict of interest.
7. I will stay informed about what's going on in the organization. I will ask questions and request information. I will participate in and take responsibility for making decisions on issues, policies, and other matters. I will not stay silent if I have questions or concerns.
8. I will work in good faith with staff and other board members as partners toward achieving our goals.
In turn, the organization will be responsible to me in the following ways:
1. I will be sent, without having to request them, quarterly financial reports and an update of organizational activities that allow me to meet the "prudent person" standards of the law. (The "prudent person rule," applied in many legal settings in slightly differing language, states that an individual must act with the same judgment and care as, in like circumstances, a prudent person would act.)
2. Opportunities will be offered to me to discuss with the executive director and the board president the Wildwood Theatres programs, goals, activities, and status; additionally, I can request such opportunities. 3. The Wildwood Theatre will help me perform my duties by keeping me informed about issues in the industry and field in which we are working and by offering me opportunities for professional development as a board member.
4. Board members and staff will respond in a straightforward fashion to questions that I feel are necessary to carry out my fiscal, legal, and moral responsibilities to this organization. Board members and staff will work in good faith with me toward achievement of our goals.
5. If the organization does not fulfill its commitments to me, I can call on the board president and executive director to discuss the organization's responsibilities to me.